The NSS unit of the college was started in the year …… The patron of NSS unit is the Principal of the college. The professor In-charge of the unit observes and supervises the regular activities of the unit. The NSS unit is determined for the over-all development of the students. Different types of activities are conducted through out the year. Students are registered in the unit during their admission in Fist year. The students admitted in NSS unit are trained to become cadet. They are equipped with the basic kit like NSS dairy, P.T. kit etc. Every student registering for NSS is required to complete 120 hours of Special work in 1st year, and 120 hours of social work in 2nd year for ‘B’ certificate.
The NSS activities have been divided in two major groups. These are the regular activities and the special camps.
1) Regular Activities: These types of activities are performed by the volunteers through out the academic session. Students of the unit participate in social work at various places. As per the instruction, the student have to participate in two activities i.e. the compulsory activities and the creative activities.
Under compulsory activities the cadets are trained for NSS songs, P.T., Drill, Yoga and Traditional games. The Professor In-charge of the unit conducts orientation programs for NSS Volunteers to impart information regarding the yearly schedule, logo, motto, and other set-up.
2) Creative Activities: The students have to participate in creative activities. Under this, six different types of programmes are undertaken in which the volunteers select any two and perform their tasks through out the year. The programmes on which the cadets work are mentioned below:
i) Programmes on Environment: Under this the volunteers are taken outside the college campus for plantation work, soil conservation and for other issues related to the environment saving. The trained volunteers of the unit conducts various camps for preparing organic fertilizer (like vermi compose), watershed management and educational programmes for saving our environment.
ii) Programmes on Literacy: NSS cadets teach the students in the villages (during camp) and try to make them understand the importance of education. Apart from this, they arrange special classes for Adults and help to remove illiteracy.
3) Programmes on Health Awareness: Different camps and programmes are organized in villages by the NSS cadets under health awareness activities. The villagers are trained to live in hygienic atmosphere. First-Aid Information is given to them on snake bite, infectious disease and other health related problems. Importance of balance-diet, physical exercise, pure drinking water, health and hygiene is explained to them.
4) Economic Development Programme: The NSS unit actively organizes different economic development programmes in village. The unit tries to help the people at village to become self- dependent. The cadets help the villagers to establish small scale industries for earning. It is noteworthy that in several villages the villagers have learned to prepare cow-dung gas plant and have taken various saving policies for their future need.
5) Social Welfare Programme: The students participate in different social welfare programmes through out the year. Serving people at old-age home, patients at hospitals, arranging free check-up camps in close co-operation with Govt. Hospital etc. are the activities performed by the unit. Direct or Indirect help is given to the suffers at the occurrence of natural calamities like flood, draught, accident etc. Villagers are trained to make soak – pit and trenches etc.
6) Programmes on other activities: The NSS unit of the college is determined to help the needy people. On request, the volunteers donate blood to patients. The unit has prepared the chart on which the names of maximum students is listed with their blood group. Apart from this, the students participate in various rallies, aids awareness programmes and serve community in various modes. The unit has good relations with several NGO’s and work together during pulse-polio, aid awareness, anti dowry and other awareness programmes.
Seven Days Special Camp: Till present students twenty five ten days special camps have been organized by NSS unit of the college in which perform their duties for society. In these camps the cadets perform various tasks for social welfare programmes. Different awareness programmes were held for the development of the
In these camps cadets are assigned for different social activities for the help of villagers. Knowledge enhancement discussion and programmes are organized. Through cultural activities, drama, one act play, etc. students try to remove social problems as well as try to make villagers aware of plans and programmes run by the government for their progress and up gradation. In these camps the cadets learn leadership skills and enhance their talents and try to gain knowledge in different fields which enables them to be more qualified and skilled for their future development and their personalities.
The NSS unit of the college is continuously moving forward to attain its object of social service through education.
Awards & Achievers:
The College promotes the cadets by giving various incentives in the form of certificates and trophies. The university provides ‘B’ certificate an ‘C’ certificate to NSS cadets after taking examination and project report. The cadets get opportunity to participate in various national and international integration camps and the march past on Republic day. The cadets also get certificate of participation in Eye camps, Rural medical camps . Different organizations of government and public organizations of Korba have awarded many cadets of unit for their social services. The programme officers of this unit have also been awarded by the Governor of State for better performance.